Last night I took in another episode of L.A. Ink. The tattoo’s overall on this episode were great, while the drama was once again, contrived. The title of the episdoe, Boobs Rule says alot about the show. Kat and Pixie go shopping and Kat notices that she is not quite as well endowed as in the past. Of course this takes up way too much time and Kat does not end up going for the boob job in the end. I wish I could say I was surprised. Another sub plot is Corey playing drums at a gig supporting a client who he tattoos this episode.
Here are a few things I found really amusing though….
– Hannah, we know you love Jesse Metcalf, but please try not to say groovy so much anymore….
– Pixie at the front of the shop, pretending to be the receptionist. “Do you have an appointment?” If not, why are we filming Pixie?
Anyway, on to the episode. Boobs Rule…..
Yet another “celebrity” piece to start off this episode, this time it is Jesse Metcalf sitting down with Hannah.
Hannah – Angel w/ Heart
1.) Client Idea / Story – Jesse wants to get a naked female angel lassoing a anatomically correct heart for his shoulder piece. “Everyone has had their heart broken, this is just a reminder, not to let it happen again.” 5/10
2.) Artist Interpretation – Hannah nails it. She takes a break from falling in love with Jesse to make this into a great great piece. I am always impressed with artists that can take ideas and make them into what the client is after. 8/ 10
3. ) Finished Tattoo – Great work here by Hannah, she takes the idea and runs with it. Jesse says he went to her because of how well she tattoos the female form, but to me, it is the heart that stands out on this piece. 7 / 10
Overall Rating 7/10 – Hannah is seriously ga ga over Jesse. This picture says it all.
Kat – Family Portrait
1.) Client Idea / Story – Kat’s friend, skater and metal dude Mike V comes in with some family members for a portrait piece. Of course this is right up Kat’s alley. Pardon that pun. 8/10
2.) Artist Interpretation -Kat and portraits are kinda a slam dunk. This is of two girls (although 3 are in the shop) and she does great. From what I understand, kids are the hardest to do regarding portraits because of their noses. 7/ 10
3. ) Finished Tattoo – Not as incredible as I imagined and hoped when it is all said and done. Even so, it looks great and is just what this super intense dude is after. 7 / 10
Overall Rating 7/10 – Mike V is way too hardcore for television.
Corey – Tennesse Rose Guitar
1.) Client Idea / Story – Dave is a musician and wants one of his guitars tattooed on his back. The guitar is a Tennesse Rose. 7/10
2.) Artist Interpretation – Corey isn’t too excited about this because he says guitars are so hard with all the detail. That being said I love how Corey improvises and adds the roses to go along with it. 8/ 10
3. ) Finished Tattoo – This turns out great. Corey takes a tough piece and does an amazing job on this guy. I really like the finished product here and the roses really make it pop. 8 / 10
Overall Rating 7.5/10 – Corey not only helps out the client, but also lands an opening gig for his band!
Kim – Eating Disorder Recovery Symbol
1.) Client Idea / Story – Marissa comes to see Kim to get a recovery from an eating disorder symbol. She has suffered from anorexia in the past and wants this as a reminder of how far she has come. 6/10
2.) Artist Interpretation – I hate to say this is an easy one, I cannot tattoo after all. But it really is. Kim does take the flower in the piece and make it her own however. 4/ 10
3. ) Finished Tattoo – I don’t care for this one, although I would never doubt or question the motives. And Kim does just what Marissa wants for this. 4 / 10
Overall Rating 4/10
Kat – Wolf Piece
1.) Client Idea / Story – Gus is getting a wolf on his arm which will blend in to his portrait of his mother. This one is also tied to him mom, who apparently loved wolves. 7/10
2.) Artist Interpretation – Gus had no reference for this, and gives Kat the creative license to come up with something for him on this one. She comes up with something incredible and really does a bang up job blending it into the portrait. 9/ 10
3. ) Finished Tattoo – I did not care for the idea at first, but Kat does awesome work on this piece. The blending between the portrait and this along with the fact that she did all the creative work on this one makes it my favorite of this episode. 9 / 10
Overall Rating 9/10
Hannah – Memorial Heart/Swallow
1.) Client Idea / Story – Laura wants to get a memorial tattoo to remember her grandfather. The piece is a sacred heart, a banner with the word “Ohana” which if family in Hawaiian. And the swallow represent her grandfather who was in the Navy. 8/10
2.) Artist Interpretation – She some to Hannah for her color skills and Hannah does not dissapoint on this one. Not too much interpretation here, mostly because the client has a really near perfect drawing, which has to be rare. 8/ 10
3. ) Finished Tattoo – This is a great piece, another colorful winner from Hannah and about as good as it gets for a memorial piece. 8 / 10
Overall Tattoo – 8/10
Loads more screencaps to come, including some more shots of the tats…..